Monday, February 24, 2014

Of Moss and Green Things



Yesterday was quite a chilly day. The sun shone brightly above us, so it was not too bad.

Off the island:
Kame was still snoozing in the morning when vicious scraping sounds startled him awake. Voices of humans could be heard from the area off the island, a place the humans call "The Nursery". I was sleepy so I ignored the noise and tucked my head back into my wing. Surprisingly, Kame did just the opposite, he stretched out his sleepiness and contented himself to watch the area beyond the island's trees.

When I had woken up a little while later, Kame told me what the ruckus had been about. A few of the humans were re-potting roses and had been shoveling soil into larger pots.

I was surprised that Kame, who's been complaining all this time about my interest in humans, was actually paying attention to the going on of events off the island. He's is so strange sometimes. (Just admit you're happy with the island's change, won't you? They are doing a fine job for humans!) The obnoxious scraping sounds from earlier were actually the moss harvesters. There are many ways of safely and quietly removing moss as to not disturb the peace but these humans certainly did not know them. They used flat shovels and scraped the ground (resulting in those loud unpleasant sounds), placing them in single flat layers.

Though it was cold and difficult work, the humans managed smiling faces. Kame claims that he heard their laughter from all the way inside the island itself. I thinking he's bluffing. (Ow! What was that for?)


On the island:

A man dressed in red was busy creating a bridge across the dry stream bed. Kame (yet again) was complaining that the sound of construction was giving him a headache. I wonder if stone turtles actually get headaches or not, after all, his skull is too thick for anything to penetrate.

A little bit later on, the moss gatherers also came onto the main part of the island. They planted the greens in a circular pattern around trees, a move that brought even more color to our humble abode.

Well, that is it for my report this time. Many events have happened to us in the last few months, but most notable is the change. Kame and I are bored here most days, so feel free to come visit us. He's such a grouch, but I promise he's only complaining for the sake of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment